    SubjectRe: PR draft final-6 comments

    Nathan Myers writes:

    >> SANTA CLARA, C.A. -- Today Linus Torvalds, the primary developer and
    >> coordinator of the Linux kernel team, releases a major new version of the
    > ^^^^^^^^
    > I disagree with Albert on this one: it should be "released". We're
    > not announcing a projected event, but an achieved one. Announcements
    > of expected future events are routinely round-filed.

    A projected event would be "will release". This is now.

    >> * Strong 256-bit encryption, uncompromised by US export restrictions, is
    >> available as an add-on component. It protects both network
    >> infrastructure and hard disk storage, including swap space.
    >
    > This is too much detail. Delete the last sentence, or (if not) change
    > "protects" to "can protect", and maybe still delete "including swap
    > space".

    >> * Compatibility with Windows NT and BSD filesystems enables Linux 2.2 to
    >> seamlessly handle data from legacy systems. With SAMBA, a Linux system
    >> can transparently replace all NT Server functions, including file- and
    >> print-sharing and domain authentication.
    >
    > That word "seamlessly" still screams "flim-flam!". We don't need to
    > snow anybody, we've got the real goods. Let's replace "enables ... to
    > seamlessly handle" with "gives ... full access to".

    The "enables ... to" construct must die, but "seamlessly" is good.
    This isn't a snow job. Seamlessness is important.

    "Samba" looks better than "SAMBA"

    : * Compatibility with Windows NT and BSD filesystems lets Linux 2.2
    : seamlessly access data on NTFS-format and UFS-format hard disks.
    : With Samba, Linux can transparently replace all NT Server functions,
    : including file-sharing, print-sharing and domain authentication.

    I suppose we must slip CONFIG_SMB_SERVER into 2.2.1 to be honest.

    >> Linux 2.2 is available for free download via the Internet. For a list of
    >> the "mirror servers" established in anticipation of the massive demand for
    >> this new release, visit the Linux Kernel Archive (http://www.kernel.org/).
    >> As always, the Linux kernel is distributed as Free Software under the terms
    >> of the GNU General Public License (http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html).

    This document is not a place for download instructions.

    > I'd like to see "breathe new life" here -- or better, replace the sentence
    > with something more meaningful:
    >
    > It can also make older machines--even 386-based computers--useful
    > again.

    That is stretching the truth. 386 hardware is not useful with
    any operating system. The performance/watt is way too low.
    That "cheap" 386 DNS server raises your air conditioning costs.

    >> Both traditional support contracts and cost-effective Internet support
    >> resources are readily available. Linux is provided under an unlimited-use
    >> license that lets users make in-house customizations to the system itself.
    >> Recent estimates suggest that Linux has up to 20 million users worldwide.
    >
    > Why "cost-effective" and not "free"?

    Time is money. It will cost you time to use Internet support.
    Also consider ISP and phone use.

    > Why "contracts"?

    That is how traditional support works.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.028 / U:0.156 seconds]