SubjectRe: error in sd.c
On Jan 23, Guest section DW wrote:

> Hmm. Didnt I tell you that 1 k = 1000? That 1 kB = 1000 B unless
> the context makes clear that probably 2^10 was meant?
> If you are speaking about modem speeds, about tape capacity,
> about just anything except memory modules then 1 kB really means 1000 B.

so two disk sectors are 1,024 kBytes ? please get real...

and if you'd agree that 1[kK] for two sectors would be much more reasonable,
you either have to stick with 2^n or you're start mixing powers of 2 and 10.

> Now you mention 1 K. I think that is 1 degree Kelvin.

agreed, but not in this context;) even it would be very intereting too
to talk about maximum allowed temperature of disks and other parts.

> But in a computer context I would take it to mean 1024
> because of the capital K.

yep, that's how I learned it too for signal processing/transmitting.
but since upper/lowercase distinction often causes even more confusion
(and can be misused in `typos' for lager adds...) this is only reasonable
in very specific publication, not in public life :-(

and the basic problem remains: if you like using 1K (uppercase intended!)
for the `most reasonable' and natural size (like for two disk sectors;)
you have to stick with powers of two which makes a lot of sence in _this_ context...

> this is not about physics, but about computer sciences.
> even physicists (like me;) know to use apropriate units where it's due.
>
> Hmm. For whom do you think these binary units are meant?

it's not the question for _whom_ this units are meant -- otherwise
you'd have to start to paint the world in M$ colors!

units are for values. and you should pick up reasonable units
depending on the context, not depending on the audience (IMHO).
choosing units depending on the audience is what brings in all the confusion...

> strange that you didn't try to argue against 1K=1024, why not ?
> just because it's even `more' convenient and natural ?
> and mixing 2^n and 10^m is not more confusing than being reasonable ?
>
> Hmm. Didnt I tell you that 1 k = 1000? That 1 kB = 1000 B unless
> the context makes clear that probably 2^10 was meant?
> If you are speaking about modem speeds, about tape capacity,
> about just anything except memory modules then 1 kB really means 1000 B.
>
> Now you mention 1 K. I think that is 1 degree Kelvin.
> But in a computer context I would take it to mean 1024
> because of the capital K.
>
> You see, you could have answered all your rhetoric questions yourself
> if you had thought that in fact I was both consistent and reasonable.

except that you avoided to mention disks in you paragraph about 1k = 1000 ;-)

and when talking about transfer rates e.g. from disk through modem/network
to disk, or from disk to tape for backups I have to convert from 10^6 to 2^20
and back ? sounds _very_ consistent and reasonable :-((

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.110 / U:0.060 seconds]