SubjectRe: ** Fork 1, Draft Final-2 **

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Kyle R. Rose wrote:

> > Yes indeed, this is a press release. Kill Samba. I read all the
> > kernel patches, and I assure you that Samba was not integrated
> > into the 2.2 kernel.
>
> Har, har... I agree, but this seems to be one of those features that will make or
> break Linux for many departments. It also has a nice lead-in from the
> NT/UNIX filesystem sentence.

Ahem... I understand that you are busy writing this stuff, but could you
read other traffic on l-k? NTFS support is not OK right now.

> > Now you have to explain what an UltraSPARC is and why someone
> > should care about UltraSPARC support. This press release is too
> > long now. It is time to chainsaw this document, and you might as
> > well start here.
>
> Only people who have an UltraSPARC are going to care. For them, it's good that
> it's there. Others will ignore it. Not everyone is going to care about
> multimedia support, either, but we have that in there...

[snip]
> "Linux" is the common name for a class of secure network operating systems
> based on the Linux kernel and other open source software including the Free
> Software Foundation's GNU Project, the Apache web server, Samba, the X
> Window System, and BSD UNIX. Linux takes full advantage of modern,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*From* BSD, please. UNIX(tm) issues aside, none of the major
distributions includes complete BSD userland. For example, I never met
a single distribution that would use BSD cp instead of
--long-options-and-featuritis-ridden-POSIXly-correct-albeit-bloated
GNU one. Ditto for the rest of fileutils, etc.

> high-end x86, Power Mac, Alpha, and UltraSPARC hardware. It can also

Hmm... What about s/UltraSPARC/Sun Microsystem's UltraSPARC/ and same
for other platforms? BTW, I doubt that Joe Average Marketdroid knows what
the heck x86 is. OTOH JAM and Joe Average EndLuser have heard about Intel,
Apple, DEC (awww... Digital; just don't use Compaq here - they have
nothing with Alpha) and Sun.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.522 / U:0.084 seconds]