SubjectRe: DDD locked up kernel :o(
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> > What does that mean? I'm assuming this caused my machine to lock up.
> > See signature below for system details.
>
> Most of the time it is bad hardware. pte/pmd errors tend to be CPU or
> cache more often than ram errors for some reason (dead CPU fans and
> overclocking lead to these quite often).

I doubt it. If it was bad hardware I'd be crashing all the time. This is
the *first* lock-up I've seen for a very long time (and I've been using
Linux since 2.0.27), I have had another report from someone else who
experienced the exact same lockup that I had.

And, my system is not overclocked (I want my machine to give me many years
of enjoyment, instead of running flat out and burning out shortly!), fans
are working properly. The system runs at very conservative settings which
ensures 24/7 100% high availablity except when the power goes out. 8)

I've been talking to that guy about the circumstances in which the lock-up
occurred. The only common factor between his and mine seems to be a fatal
cocktail of DDD & gdb that makes the kernel do a caca[1].

Cheers,
Alex.

[1] French argot, meaning to take a shit.

---
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

Check out http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk
Linux lo-pc3035a 2.2.0-final #9 Thu Jan 21 13:08:31 EST 1999
One Intel Pentium 75 - 200 processor, 66.36 total bogomips, 16M RAM
System library 5.4.46

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.201 / U:0.144 seconds]