SubjectRe: 2.2.0-final
Hi Tom.

>> 1. If I compile a 2.2.0-pre9 kernel with "make bzImage", the
>> resulting kernel does NOT boot up on my Toshiba laptop - it
>> just reports "Out of memory, system halted". Compiling a
>> 2.0.36 kernel with "make bzImage" results in one that DOES
>> boot up, and runs quite happily...

> Interesting - I saw this happen on my Toshiba laptop with -pre6 so
> I switched to zImage and got it working. Once I had a working
> zImage, I made a bzImage with the same .conf and that one worked.
> I'm now running -pre9 bzImage with no problems.

Having read that last night, I went home and used "make zImage" and
"make bzImage" on the configuration that "make zImage" worked on on
the said laptop, copied them both over to the laptop, made entries in
/etc/lilo.conf for both of them, then tried them both out...

Once again, the zImage version worked, and the bzImage version didn't,
so there's definately something here - and, since they're both built
from the same configuration file...

Mind if I ask a couple of questions:

1. How much RAM do you have, Tom?

2. Is there a minimum RAM size for bzImage to work?

Best wishes from Riley.

---
* ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://www.MemAlpha.cx/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.070 / U:0.140 seconds]