SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre9 ugliness on udb/alpha
Date
> The tracelog is suspect -- simple_strtoul doesn't call anything,
> though scsi_sleep does call sprintf indirectly. Further, sprintf
> isn't 0x1edc bytes long, only 0x68.
>
> I suppose it is possible that something is wrong with kernel_thread
> wrt modules. An invalid gp would explain much of this wierdness.
> But I remember fixing that up way earlier in the 2.1 series, and I
> just went back over that call chain and didn't see anything amiss.
>
> Can you point to any particular change from pre7 that causes the problem?

Well, I tracked down the problem to the call to down_interruptible() around
line 1974 in scsi_error_handler() in scsi_error.c.

Part of the patch from pre7 to pre8 were all those Alpha semaphore
fixes. I wasn't able to boot until you posted your semaphore patch. Since
then I've always gotten this oops. Apparently something in the semaphore
code still isn't right.

Let me know if you want me to instrument the code more to help you isolate the
bug.

Ken

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.208 / U:0.328 seconds]