SubjectRe: Internal Modems
On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Adam Goldstein wrote:

> I take it that WinModems simply won't work under Linux? Is there any way
>
> around this?
>
> I recently sold a nice P2/300 to someone with a lucent 56k D/F/V pci
> modem in it... which under windows loads as an lt winmodem... I need to
>
> get this guy up& running, and I wasn't aware of a winmodem compatability
>
> issue.. Don't wanna have him return it cause of a silly modem ;)
>
> Any Thoughts?

Get an external modem of get a modem that says it's 'DOS compatible'.
I have always used external modems because I don't want my motherboard
smoked during the next lightening storm (I ran a BBS for 20 years).

Winmodems (called losemodems) use your CPU to actually flip bits
up and down. Even if there was a "driver" you would not like it
because every phase-change of the QAM modem carrier would require your
CPU to extract bits, unscramble, etc.

Real modems have hardware to do this so the CPU only gets involved when
a character or characters have been assembled.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.722 / U:0.112 seconds]