    SubjectRe: Internal Modems
    On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Adam Goldstein wrote:

    > I take it that WinModems simply won't work under Linux? Is there any way
    >
    > around this?
    >
    > I recently sold a nice P2/300 to someone with a lucent 56k D/F/V pci
    > modem in it... which under windows loads as an lt winmodem... I need to
    >
    > get this guy up& running, and I wasn't aware of a winmodem compatability
    >
    > issue.. Don't wanna have him return it cause of a silly modem ;)
    >
    > Any Thoughts?

    Get an external modem of get a modem that says it's 'DOS compatible'.
    I have always used external modems because I don't want my motherboard
    smoked during the next lightening storm (I ran a BBS for 20 years).

    Winmodems (called losemodems) use your CPU to actually flip bits
    up and down. Even if there was a "driver" you would not like it
    because every phase-change of the QAM modem carrier would require your
    CPU to extract bits, unscramble, etc.

    Real modems have hardware to do this so the CPU only gets involved when
    a character or characters have been assembled.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
    Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.043 / U:60.152 seconds]