    SubjectRe: kernel mirrors behavior changed
    On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Jeff Millar wrote:

    > The mx.kernel.org mirror and probably others will thoughtfully (??)
    > gunzip the file as it's downloaded, at least when downloaded with
    > netscape. However, when it does this under DOS/Win it adds returns that
    > patch can't handle. The original kernel.org doesn't gunzip the file, so
    > there's no text conversion problem. In addition, the ascii converted
    > file retains its .gz suffix...which is just plain wrong.

    The mirrors are working correctly. It is netscape that is the problem.
    If netscape believes that it is downloading a gziped file then it will
    gunzip it, but is too dumb to fix the filename after.

    --
    Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

    If I were to walk on water, the press would say I'm only doing it
    because I can't swim.
    -- Bob Stanfield

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:58.156 seconds]