SubjectRe: 2.2.0-final
Hi.

> there's now a 2.2.0-pre9 on ftp.kernel.org, and when you compile it
> it will call itself 2.2.0-final. The reason is fairly obvious:
> enough is enough, and I can't make pre-kernels forever, it just
> dilutes the whole idea. The only reason the tar-file is not called
> 2.2.0 is that I want to avoid having any embarrassing typos that
> cause it to not compile under reasonable configurations or
> something like that.

> Unreasonable configurations I no longer care about.

> Every program has bugs, and I'm sure there are still bugs in this.
> Get over it - we've done our best, and nobody ever believed that
> there wouldn't be 2.2.x kernels to fix problems as they come up,
> and delaying 2.2.0 forever is not an option.

> I have a wedding anniversary and a company party coming up, so I'm
> taking a few days off - when I get back I expect to take this
> current 2.2.0-final and just remove the "-final" from the Makefile,
> and that will be it. I suspect somebody _will_ find something
> embarrassing enough that I would fix it too, but let's basically
> avoid planning on that.

> In short, before you post a bug-report about 2.2.0-final, I'd like
> you to have the following simple guidelines:

> "Is this something Linus would be embarrassed enough about that
> he would wear a brown paper bag over his head for a month?"

> and

> "Is this something that normal people would ever really care
> deeply about?"

> If the answer to either question is "probably not", then please
> consider just politely discussing it as a curiosity on the kernel
> mailing lists rather than even sending email about it to me: I've
> been too busy the last few weeks, and I'd really appreciate it if I
> could just forget the worries of a release for a few days..

> But if you find something hilariously stupid I did, feel free to
> share it with me, and we'll laugh about it together (and I'll avoid
> wearing the brown paper bag on my head during the month of
> February). Do we have a deal?

As far as I'm concerned, these falls in the "curiosity" category, not
the "brown paper bag" category, but...

1. If I compile a 2.2.0-pre9 kernel with "make bzImage", the
resulting kernel does NOT boot up on my Toshiba laptop - it just
reports "Out of memory, system halted". Compiling a 2.0.36 kernel
with "make bzImage" results in one that DOES boot up, and runs
quite happily...

I will add that BOTH of these kernels boot quite happily on my
desktop system and, in addition, 2.2.0-pre9 compiled with "make
zImage" (once I got enough stripped out for that to work) boots
fine on the said laptop, so this looks like whatever the bug is,
it's in the bzImage routines...

In case it helps, the laptop is a Toshiba T2110 (i486dx4/75, 12M
RAM, 800M Hard drive, PCMCIA NE2000 network adapter) with RedHat
5.2 NFS-installed direct from the SunSITE-UK mirror site, and
nothing other than the kernel upgraded. Compilation was done on
my desktop system, a P166 with 128M of RAM and 6.4G of hard drive
space, and running RedHat 5.1, but with "make menuconfig" set for
the relevant options for the notebook...

2. I gather that the "NFS server support" option (which results in
the creation of the nfsd.o module) is only expected to work if
the knfsd userland daemon is currently running? Otherwise, it
reports an "undefined symbol" error.

3. I gather that "The IPX protocol" is also only intended to work
with some userland daemon for the same reason?

4. Finally, I note that "modprobe ipv6" produces 73 different
"undefined symbol" errors, so make a similar assumption...

Best wishes from Riley.

---
* ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://www.MemAlpha.cx/~rhw/kernel.versions.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.125 / U:0.204 seconds]