[lkml]   [1999]   [Jan]   [23]   [last100]   RSS Feed

Patches in this message
    SubjectRe: 2.2.0-final
    On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In short, before you post a bug-report about 2.2.0-final, I'd like you to

There are three things from me I think should go in before 2.2.0 real
    (maybe a normal user would be not too much worried by these two races, it
    depends also about the definition on `normal user' ;).

The first is a fix for a potential swapout deadlock I discovered and fixed
    some day ago. See my email about the topic with the patch:

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:26:05 +0100 (CET)
    > From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com>
    > To: Zlatko Calusic <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>,
    > "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com>,
    > Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
    > Cc: Linux-MM List <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
    > Linux Kernel List <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
    > Subject: Re: Removing swap lockmap...
    > On 18 Jan 1999, Zlatko Calusic wrote:
    > > I removed swap lockmap all together and, to my surprise, I can't
    > > produce any ill behaviour on my system, not even under very heavy
    > > swapping (in low memory condition).
    > Looking at your patch (and so looking at the swap_lockmap code) I found a
    > potential deadlock in the current swap_lockmap handling:
    > task A task B
    > ---------- -------------
    > rw_swap_page_base()
    > ...if (test_and_set_bit(lockmap))
    > ... run_task_queue()
    > swap_after_unlock_page()
    > ... clear_bit(lockmap)
    > .... wakeup(&lock_queue)
    > ...sleep_on(&lock_queue);
    > deadlocked
    > I think it will not harm too much because the window is not too big (but
    > not small) and because usually one of the process not yet deadlocked will
    > generate IO and will wakeup also the deadlocked process at I/O
    > completation time. A very lazy ;) but at the same time obviosly right
    > (that should not harm performances at all) fix could be to replace the
    > sleep_on() with a sleep_on_timeout(..., 1).
    * patch snipped *
    > I think we need the swap_lockmap in the shm case because without swap
    > cache a swapin could happen at the same time of the swapout because
    > find_in_swap_cache() won't work there.
    > Andrea Arcangeli

while (test_and_set_bit(offset,p->swap_lockmap)) {
    run_task_queue(&tq_disk);
    - sleep_on(&lock_queue);
    + sleep_on_timeout(&lock_queue, 1);
    }

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The second thing is the complete race fix for the disable/enable_bh().
    It's obviously right. Here it is (against 2.2.0-pre8intestingforalan but
    should apply clean to your tree too):

Index: linux/include/asm-i386/softirq.h
    diff -u linux/include/asm-i386/softirq.h:1.1.1.1 linux/include/asm-i386/softirq.h:1.1.2.2
    --- linux/include/asm-i386/softirq.h:1.1.1.1 Mon Jan 18 02:27:17 1999
    +++ linux/include/asm-i386/softirq.h Wed Jan 20 07:41:42 1999
    @@ -9,24 +9,6 @@
    #define get_active_bhs() (bh_mask & bh_active)
    #define clear_active_bhs(x) atomic_clear_mask((x),&bh_active)

-extern inline void init_bh(int nr, void (*routine)(void))
    -{
    - bh_base[nr] = routine;
    - atomic_set(&bh_mask_count[nr], 0);
    - bh_mask |= 1 << nr;
    -}
    -extern inline void remove_bh(int nr)
    -{
    - bh_base[nr] = NULL;
    - bh_mask &= ~(1 << nr);
    -}
    -extern inline void mark_bh(int nr)
    -{
    - set_bit(nr, &bh_active);
    -}
    #ifdef __SMP__

@@ -90,21 +72,49 @@

#endif /* SMP */

+extern inline void init_bh(int nr, void (*routine)(void))
    +{
    + bh_base[nr] = routine;
    + bh_mask_count[nr] = 0;
    + wmb();
    + bh_mask |= 1 << nr;
    +}
    +extern inline void remove_bh(int nr)
    +{
    + bh_mask &= ~(1 << nr);
    + synchronize_bh();
    + bh_base[nr] = NULL;
    +}
    +extern inline void mark_bh(int nr)
    +{
    + set_bit(nr, &bh_active);
    +}
    * These use a mask count to correctly handle
    * nested disable/enable calls
    extern inline void disable_bh(int nr)
    {
    + unsigned long flags;
    + spin_lock_irqsave(&bh_lock, flags);
    bh_mask &= ~(1 << nr);
    - atomic_inc(&bh_mask_count[nr]);
    + bh_mask_count[nr]++;
    + spin_unlock_irqrestore(&bh_lock, flags);
    synchronize_bh();
    }

extern inline void enable_bh(int nr)
    {
    - if (atomic_dec_and_test(&bh_mask_count[nr]))
    + unsigned long flags;
    + spin_lock_irqsave(&bh_lock, flags);
    + if (!--bh_mask_count[nr])
    bh_mask |= 1 << nr;
    + spin_unlock_irqrestore(&bh_lock, flags);
    }

#endif /* __ASM_SOFTIRQ_H */
    Index: linux/include/linux/interrupt.h
    diff -u linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:1.1.1.1 linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:1.1.2.1
    --- linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:1.1.1.1 Mon Jan 18 02:27:09 1999
    +++ linux/include/linux/interrupt.h Mon Jan 18 02:32:58 1999
    @@ -17,7 +17,8 @@

extern volatile unsigned char bh_running;

-extern atomic_t bh_mask_count[32];

+spinlock_t bh_lock = SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED;
    +int bh_mask_count[32];
    unsigned long bh_active = 0;
    unsigned long bh_mask = 0;
    void (*bh_base[32])(void);

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The third thing I disagree is to swapout in cluster when shrink_mmap()
    fails at priority == 6 (or whatever). shrink_mmap() that fails tell
    nothing about the state of the VM. We could be with 0 phys RAM but with
    some freeable cache but shrink_mmap could still fail at that stage. This
    has no trivial fix (I think my new nr_freeable pages balance level will
    fix it though) and luckily is mostly a performances issue (even if I
    think it's the cause of the VM slowdown after some day of usage).

From a stableness point of view instead I think that the current
    try_to_free_pages() algorithm is not good because we should do only _one_
    (and not count-- until swapout fail) swapout(), if nr_free_pages <
    freepages.min. This because low memory system SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX (aka 32)
    is very major than 10 (minimum of freepages.min). Here a patch:

Index: vmscan.c
    ===================================================================
    RCS file: /var/cvs/linux/mm/vmscan.c,v
    retrieving revision 1.1.1.3
    diff -u -r1.1.1.3 vmscan.c
    --- vmscan.c 1999/01/23 18:52:32 1.1.1.3
    +++ linux/mm/vmscan.c 1999/01/23 20:53:11
    @@ -487,6 +487,8 @@
    while (swap_out(priority, gfp_mask)) {
    if (!--count)
    goto done;
    + if (nr_free_pages < freepages.min)
    + break;
    }

shrink_dcache_memory(priority, gfp_mask);

But NOTE, I _never_ tried this patch (nor tried compiled it), because I am
    testing my VM algorithm instead of 2.2.0 ones. Maybe it will harm a bit
    performances (not too much though) but looks to me strictly _needed_ to me
    for low memory machines. If somebody would try out the system w and w/o
    this patch after setting echo 10 >/proc/sys/vm/freepages it would be
    interesting.

------------ Busy-Linus can stop reading here (now ;) ----------------
    BTW, I am running now with my new vm that take stable the number of
    freeable pages. This VM works greatly here. But I had to change all
    bh->b_count++ with bget(bh) and implementing bget() this way:

extern inline unsigned int bget(struct buffer_head * bh)
    {
    buffer_get(bh);
    return ++bh->b_count;
    }
    where buffer_get() is this:

extern inline void buffer_get(struct buffer_head *bh)
    {
    struct page * page = mem_map + MAP_NR(bh->b_data);
    switch (atomic_read(&page->count))
    {
    case 1:
    atomic_inc(&page->count);
    nr_freeable_pages--;
    break;
    #if 1 /* PARANOID */
    case 0:
    printk(KERN_ERR "buffer_get: page was unused!\n");
    #endif
    }
    }
    And for b_count-- exists a bput().

Taking uptodate the file cache instead is been very easier (some line
    changed and nothing more). Lukily the only b_count++ or b_count-- are in
    buffer.c and in ext2fs, other fs has one or two b_count only.

Seeems to works fine and stable here but I still need to do some test
    before release it. The only reason I developed nr_freeable_pages is
    because I want stable numbers. And to get stable numbers under swapout
    shrink_mmap retval is not enough because I could go sometime in the wrong
    direction doing the wrong work. But I can't trust the size of the cache
    or of the buffers as a balance factor because they could be all busy or
    all freeable... (as pointed out by Stephen). BTW, Stephen, having b_count
    == 0 (as I done) is a good approximation that the buffer is ready to be
    freed? I seen in buffer.c that it should be also unlocked, unprotected and
    clean to be freeable, but b_count looks like to be the most important
    thing, can a driver take locked/dirty/protected for an infinite time a
    buffer?

If I rember well (not sure if we was talking about the same thing) also
    Rik suggested to have a nr_freeable_pages, I don't know if the reason he
    wanted it is my same one though.

Comments from MM guys?

Andrea Arcangeli

the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu

Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.034 / U:60.080 seconds]