    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel constraints!
    > Recently(dec.) in WindowsNT magazine comparisons/similarities between
    > various flavours of unix and nt had come. In the same article Linux was
    > ignored as enterprise os on account of following kernel 'limitations' :

    Windows NT magazine also ran an article stating all Linux programs had to
    distribute their source. In the same article, they mention Oracle,
    Informix, and Corel porting. So where do I download Oracle 8 source?!?
    The Win NT writers either aren't bright enough to understand the LGPL,
    or they're deliberately spreading misinformation.
    Either way, I can't imagine any group of people less qualified to comment
    on the Linux kernel.

    > 1. kernel is not preemptive. ie even a higher priority user thread cant
    > cause another thread to be swapped if the other thread is presently running
    > in privileged/kernel context.
    > 2. kernel is not reentrant. ie.only one thread in kernel context at a time.

    I believe these complaints may apply to the 2.0 kernel, due to kernel wide
    spin-locks, but not 2.2

    > 3. kernel is not multi processing in the sense that on multiprocessor
    > systems it will run on only one cpu at a time.

    This I don't believe. What would be the point of SMP support if it only
    used one processor at a time? So either they're looking at a kernel prior
    to SMP, or they have no idea what they're talking about. Or possibly, I've
    misunderstood the statement.

    > will somebody can clarify these doubts and version which enabled it to be
    > otherwise.

    I'm by no means a kernel expert, but I didn't see any other responses.
    Anyway, I might be wrong.

    Justin Bradford
    justin@ukans.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.060 / U:1.020 seconds]