SubjectRe: arca-vm-26
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:09:33 +0000
> From: Alan Mimms <alan@packetengines.com>
>
> Have you considered the relatively new data structure called a
> 'skip list'?
>
> I like skip lists too, but one fallacy I found in them for kernel
> usage is that they require a decent and fast random number source.
> Perhaps you found a suitable solution to this problem in your
> application?

I too like skip-list, the avg cost per ptr is low and things like
merges are very easy, but when raw perf. is an issue a good RBtree impl
usually kills a skip-list. I have and use both, but skip-list is almost
never a better solution than an RBtree.

Even pre-caching the random numbers before a benchmark and pulling
them from a pool doesn't give skip-list an advantage, I don't see how this
would be any better in the kernel.

Benjamin Saller Bender <case@appliedtheory.com>
AppliedTheory Communications Software Engineering Group

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.370 / U:0.004 seconds]