    SubjectRe: arca-vm-26
    On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:09:33 +0000
    > From: Alan Mimms <alan@packetengines.com>
    >
    > Have you considered the relatively new data structure called a
    > 'skip list'?
    >
    > I like skip lists too, but one fallacy I found in them for kernel
    > usage is that they require a decent and fast random number source.
    > Perhaps you found a suitable solution to this problem in your
    > application?

    I too like skip-list, the avg cost per ptr is low and things like
    merges are very easy, but when raw perf. is an issue a good RBtree impl
    usually kills a skip-list. I have and use both, but skip-list is almost
    never a better solution than an RBtree.

    Even pre-caching the random numbers before a benchmark and pulling
    them from a pool doesn't give skip-list an advantage, I don't see how this
    would be any better in the kernel.

    Benjamin Saller Bender <case@appliedtheory.com>
    AppliedTheory Communications Software Engineering Group

    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:0.420 seconds]