    SubjectRe: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)
    On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Steven Roberts wrote:

    > "Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:
    > > If someone with great vision and design skills wants to create a
    > > new API for Linux, we should seriously consider such a proposal.

    That is IMHO a bad idea. Linux, because it follows the
    traditional Unix monolithic kernel model, is already so obsolete that it
    really isn't worth putting serious time into incompatible API
    improvements. Its value right now is that it is a free, well-written and
    POSIX-compatible open source Unix clone. Please leave it as such. Just
    treat Linux as what it is: a legacy-compatible *interim* OS that provides
    a nice, mostly-stable and well-known environment in which to develop
    device drivers and OS guts (and apps, GUIs etc too).

    Soon, probably within a year or two, a decent, open-source next
    generation OS like Hurd (Microkernel), FluxOS (polymorphic virtual
    machines/nested processes), Dolphin (exokernel), The Cache Kernel, or
    another NGOS will be developed to the point where it can step in and
    cannibalize the guts out of Linux to produce a fully-functional NGOS which
    is suitable for mainstream use. With the Univerity of Utah OSKit having
    been released, this process is well underway and accelerating rapidly. At
    that point, then, we all can dump 25+ years of accumulated Unix API
    brokenness and move on to a clean, modern, well-designed OS.

    Linux will then exist only as some sort of NGOS legacy
    compatibility wrapper, like WINE, and the real Linux can gracefully fade
    away into history, its "springboard" role having run its course. This is
    the natural way of things. If you want to "fix" Unix/Linux, do it right
    and rework everything ground-up from first principles. Just MHO of

    becoming one with God.'
    - Scientist G. Richard Seed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:32.240 seconds]