SubjectRe: Adding checkpointing API to Linux kernel
Hi!

> > It's been running like this for three years. I released the source code
> > under GPL in November 1995. As far as I know, three people in the entire
> > world have ever run it, counting me.
>
> Thats cos a million of us never knew it existed. I'd practically kill for
> that stuff ( Not quite , imagine a trail of slightly bruised people in my
> wake). Its value to authors could be huge.
>
> > shifted again and again. The replayer needs a table of every system call
> > and how it affects memory, and that table needs more entries every week
> > (thanks to ioctl). So I have a great demo, if you have 1.3.42 kernel
> > headers to compile it against.
>
> This is something I've been pondering - strace has the same problems - it
> does suggest their should be a single good syscall/ioctl definition somewhere

BTW things like network block device would benefit from ioctl's being
standartized, too. That way, I would be able to pass ioctls across
network and I would be able to create network char device and play
sounds over network over it :-).
Pavel

PS: How many things would break if we forced ioctls to _always_ pass

struct foo {
int len;
char data[len];
} ?