    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel constraints!
    Date
    Followup to:  <F1C298E6C941D111A18500805F89245932C188@MIDCBDC>
    By author: Yogesh Bansal <yogesh.bansal@tatainfotech.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Recently(dec.) in WindowsNT magazine comparisons/similarities between
    > various flavours of unix and nt had come. In the same article Linux was
    > ignored as enterprise os on account of following kernel 'limitations' :
    >
    > 1. kernel is not preemptive. ie even a higher priority user thread cant
    > cause another thread to be swapped if the other thread is presently running
    > in privileged/kernel context.
    > 2. kernel is not reentrant. ie.only one thread in kernel context at a time.
    > 3. kernel is not multi processing in the sense that on multiprocessor
    > systems it will run on only one cpu at a time.
    >
    > will somebody can clarify these doubts and version which enabled it to be
    > otherwise.
    > yogi

    2 and 3 are just plain incorrect, although the granularity could be
    improved. 1 is true, but is not a major problem in practice, except
    for hard real time. As an "enterprise OS" hard real time is hardly a
    requirement.

    Sounds like standard WindowsNT mag. FUD to me (this mag seems to be a
    major source of FUD these days.)

    -hpa
    --
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key