    SubjectRe: Structure vs purism ?
    in any distributed project like this, sometimes coding style is copied for
    no good reason at all.

    however, if a "goto" is used, perhaps some indication could be left in the
    code about why it was used (fast-path optimization, pruning control
    nesting, and so on) so future generations won't remove the critical ones.
    usually when one writes code using uncommon practices, a comment is
    warranted to explain the obfuscation, but we could get very clever and use
    C macros :)

    On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Philipp Rumpf wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 09:58:53PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > Then 'tidy' up something so it looks good to 'humans' and do the same
    > > thing again. You will then learn why there are strange constructs and,
    > > as you say, a 1000 gotos.
    > I think a lot of the goto's could be removed as soon as there is a decent
    > possibility to tell the compiler to optimize for a certain case. This was
    > discussed on the egcs lists some time ago IIRC.

    - Chuck Lever
    corporate: <>
    personal: <> or <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.018 / U:38.928 seconds]