SubjectRe: More ATAPI/IDE fun. (zip drive this time)
Date
Andre M. Hedrick wrote the following:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, CaT wrote:
>
> > > As for your multi-mode errors, the original changes that I made around
> > > 2.1.122 were stubbed out, but you can enable them easily.
> > >
> > > Apply this, "ide-2.2.0.8.pat1", to give you the option of multi-mode config.
> > >
> > > The other option is to edit ./drivers/block/ide.h at line #34
> > >
> > > #define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT 0 /* off=0; on=2,4,8,16,32, etc.. */
> > > #define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT 1 /* off=0; on=2,4,8,16,32, etc.. */
> >
> > Applied that too... (erm.. both of them)
>
> I realy would like to know if both work individually.

No worries. I'll try it with pre9 which I've just setup and all. One, then
the other. should be easy enough.

> The idea was to determine if changing the INITIAL_MULT_COUNT value to ONE
> as a default option would fix the error without the need of the actual
> patch. Since I am looking beyond the current state of distrutions,

I think I just had a braindead moment and just shoved everything in there ;)

> no one () will like to have to do double builds of bootdisks.
> Much less the average JOE, newbie or enduser, will not want to have to
> guess which to use.
>
> I do not want this to look like a MicroSoft Win98 install that took
> two-hours to press the enter key from rolling and laughing on the floor.
>
> "Should your computer halt, please reset and continue with the install"
> Mind you that anybody who did not roar aloud must not understand /dev/null.

That was amusing. :)

> > > Please let me know if it goes away with either or both of these options.
> >
> > Well, in my sheer desire to get it all right I applied all that was
> > mentioned above and a patch that got rid of the assembly strstr(),
> >
> > all in all the results so far are:
> >
> > * multimode errors no longer reported (I did turn the config option on)
>
> I really need to know if this is resolve if we change the value of
> INITIAL_MULT_COUNT with the option off works.

No worries. I'll see if I can do it with pre9. (or final as it wants to
call itself :)

> > * zip drive actually works now too. mounted and happy at this very
> > moment.
>
> The UGLY zip fix would work, regardless of the strstr() error.

*nod* cool. ok. shove that in also if the problem presents itself
again in pre9.

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au) URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

There was farting in the air that night,
It lit so bright,
Fernando...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:1.262 / U:0.012 seconds]