    SubjectRe: arca-vm-26
    On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

    > - buffermem is 200M of my 256M system afterwards
    > - minimum swap.
    > - lots of system time searching the buffer cache with
    > commands afterwards.

    so the problem is just only the ~O(n) search in the buffer cache right?

    > - commands running 50 to 100!!! times slower than before filling buffercache

    No this is a workaround of the problem I think that right now I should
    enlarge the buffer hash table of the buffer headers for high memory
    machines.

    Really I think that for the long run I should start dropping the cache and
    buffer hashes replacing them with RB-trees to work fine everywhere without
    waste some base memory with fuzzy hash tables. I think that doing that
    everything should scale _far_ better also under the scenario you are
    describing.

    Comments from David? (note RB-trees != AVL ;).

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:2.172 seconds]