SubjectRe: *** draft 4 - press release ***
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Now, it is possible to have a powerful installation
> program that learns about the hardware that would install Linux
> with no human intervention at all. In fact, the default configuration
> could have one of those "harmless" never to be routed IP addresses and
> even a default machine name.

There are no "harmless" IP addresses. Those that aren't routed
are often used on internal networks. If you default to one of
those you could still collide with a machine - possibly a critical
workgroup server :-).

> Monitors even
> 'tell` the input if it's synchronizing properly so a powerful program
> can even determine if the user's monitor is able to handle 1280x1024
> or if it's got to be left at 1024x768, etc,.. The windows installation
> always gets the screen right.

Your monitor might. Mine is rather older. Last time I upgraded
my video card the driver decided to use a completely stupid
refresh frequency. The smart mode editor would not run unless
I was actually using the driver. I had to change the refresh
using keyboard navigation based on two screenshots of an earlier
version in the two page "docs" and by watching the way the
flickering changed. In my experience this is not atypical of
the fun you can have with PCs when they aren't completely
new builds.

Mike

--
A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
On my desk I have a work station...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.061 / U:1.292 seconds]