    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

    Richard Stallman writes:

    > You will also help inform the users that the system exists because of
    > a group of people who stood up for a principle of freedom, people who
    > insisted that freedom should apply to the whole of the system, and no
    > less.
    > In a time when most of the voices heard in the community say we should
    > sacrifice principles when they become inconvenient, it's important for
    > users to know that their system did not come from that approach.
    > Users should know that a firm stand accomplished something that
    > "pragmatic flexibility" would never have done.
    > I hope you will join me and the others who use the term "GNU/Linux".

    The system exists because the Internet (not commonly available
    before the early 1990's) allows collaborative development.
    Linux might have died under the original licence, but BSD escaped
    from AT&T with plenty of tools and most of a kernel. We'd be
    using that now instead.

    My system is i386-redhat-linux or just Linux. It is quite arrogant
    for the FSF to call it otherwise. Not many people respect a person
    who tries to claim credit for everything like you do.

    Because of this, I refuse to ever mention any of the GNU and FSF
    issues to anybody learning about the system. You don't even deserve
    to be mentioned anymore. When I see i386-redhat-linux on all the
    FSF stuff I compile, I will reconsider that decision. Until then,
    I hope others will join me in ignoring you as punishment.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.035 / U:154.200 seconds]