SubjectRe: bogous binfmt_misc patch in 2.2.0-pre1
Date
> One thing I _have_ considered using a "section" trick for is the "init"
> routines. Right now one of the uglier files is drivers/net/Space.c, which
> is just endless "#ifconfig"s - and it should be possible to reasonably
> easily create a section for "device driver probe" addresses, and thus
> spread out these things into the drivers that actually implement them.
>
> (The same is true of filesystems and memory devices, for example)

Martin Mares and myself have already discussed using a special section in
each driver with a structure, which would give name to the driver, type of
driver (net, scsi, fs, ...), list of buses the driver is servicing devices
on (e.g. it could be ISA+PCI or PCI+SBUS or whatever), for buses where card
detection is easy (like PCI or SBUS) it would contain magics used to detect
them (for PCI the IDs, for SBUS device names), then of course additional
detection routines, arguments it accepts (that could unify in kernel and
module arguments), dependencies on other drivers, etc. Even bus drivers,
like PCI, SBUS, ... itself would come with such section entries, so even
main.c could be simplified.
Then one could do stuff like initialize all SCSI devices on PCI bus X, etc.
But as it is obviously 2.3 thing, it has to wait...

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University