    SubjectRe: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

    On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Gerd Knorr wrote:

    > Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
    >
    > >On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >>
    > >> You cannot and should not mix XFree86 servers (except the frame buffer
    > >> console server) with the kernel frame buffer driver. Period.
    >
    > >That's a kernel frame buffer bug as far as I can tell.
    >
    > >If the text console can live together with X messing with the display
    > >device, there is no reason why the frame buffer console shouldn't do the
    > >same. We already have all the code to serialize the accesses.
    >
    > In theory it should work fine. In practice some X-Servers have problems
    > to restore the video mode correctly. Maybe due to some hardware problem
    > (some video boards you can't ask about the current state), maybe becauce
    > they don't expect the console being in graphics mode. You'll end up with
    > a broken console then. This problem is'nt new...

    Please notice that my problem has nothing to do with text mode
    restoration; the "clicking" or "jitter" in the sound was audible while
    stressing the computer (even slightly -- changing Window Maker workspaces
    or text scrolling in an Eterm). There was zero problems changing between
    ordinary text consoles and the one XF86_SVGA was running on.

    > I never had problems to mix the accelerated XFree86 Server with fbcon
    > (matrox mystique, both vesafb and matroxfb work fine). The FBDev Server
    > works too, of cource.

    Neither did I have problems -- until recently. I'm in the process of
    learning how XFree (the svga server) and matroxfb work, but it will
    probably take a lot of time before I can contribute to fixing whichever is
    broken.

    Taneli <vahakang@cs.helsinki.fi>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:4.117 / U:0.332 seconds]