    SubjectRe: Netscape broken with 2.2.0-pre7
    In message <19990116204908.A1473@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>, Jamie Lokier
    writes
    :
    +-----
    | On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 09:35:46PM -0600, Joseph Anthony wrote:
    | > Every thing is ok with me (pre7) Netscape 4.08
    | > Debian 2.0
    |
    | I have checked, the problem is still present with Netscape 4.08.
    | (netscape-navigator-4.08-1.i386.rpm as distributed by Red Hat).
    |
    | Further tracing reveals that the regular, high speed SIGALRM signals are
    | quite normal -- netscape receives them all the time. It sets a timer
    | requesting them every 50ms, though it only receives them every 70ms.
    +--->8

    FWIW, I see the following on both 4.05 Solaris and 4.08 Linux: occasionally
    Netscape "freezes", and forcing it to receive an X event (usually by moving
    the mouse into or out of its frame, since I run with backing store)
    unfreezes it. Sometimes this must be repeated a few times before it notices.

    This along with your report makes me think that Netscape is doing something
    *really* stupid such as internal preemptive multitasking with the pipe
    feeding a scheduler routine which looks to see what requested scheduling by
    writing to the pipe and dispatches with longjmp() or abuse of throw/catch.
    The possible failure modes, if anything doesn't work exactly as the
    author(s) predicted, are mind-boggling.

    So pre7 does something Netscape doesn't quite expect --- it may well be
    *valid*, just not what they tuned the above monstrosity for on Linux --- and
    Netscape goes into a tailspin. Surprise.

    I always wondered how they simulated multithreading. Somehow I think I now
    know... it seems just about repulsive enough to fit :-)

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:30.640 seconds]