SubjectRe: Building .config into the kernel
On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 11:00:23PM +0100, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> Why all this palaver? It doesn't matter if you can figure out the image.
> I could probably do it by diffing symbols. The point is that it's not
> easy and it is silly. Just put the config options in /proc where we can all
> see them. I couldn't care less about 4k ram from a 256MB server. I couldn't
> even care in an 8MB machine (and I _have_ an 8MB machine).

And make this a compile-time option ('Y' by default), and you wouldn't even
have to care if you are on a 4MB machine.

On a 16mb machine - I support this. I currently have a bunch of kernels in
my /kernels directory, going back as old as 2.0.34 (some have cute names
like '2_0_34.ms' - it probably was on a FAT once - that I can only guess
what is).

I think that if inclusion of .config is going to make it into the kernel,
supporting some way of figuring what patches are applied is a very good
idea too. As others have said, the concept of a 'patches' directory that
gets listed somewhere when compiling is a good thing. I had something like
that for a while in the 2.0 series, and it worked quite well. It is a very
simple patch.
Regardless of code-forking and the like, sometimes people have to patch up
the kernel for specific needs - why not make their lives easier? I, for
example, patch my kernel to support writing Hebrew right-to-left (in
some extremely horrifying way I implemented back in 2.0 - it should never go
into the kernel. It should probably never leave my machine, too), and I
have a one-liner that fixes a problem I have with umsdos. I see nothing
wrong with me applying these two patches, but sometimes I don't apply
them for various reasons - and it is important for me to tell whether
they were applied or not.

All in all, it costs no money to support these two things if you don't want
them, the number of source lines it adds is a fraction to what is added
between every two patches, and implementing it is simple.
So I cry along with you - why not?

Nimrod

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.174 / U:0.240 seconds]