SubjectRe: PROBLEM: NFS client mounts disappear...
Date

> > If the mount is disappearing, then it sounds like something has
> > come along and done a "umount". That something is likely to
> > be Amd in this case.
>
> Unless you _really_ really have to use amd for some reason, I strongly
> encourage people to use autofs. It's a lot more robust - it was written
> internally here at transmeta by hpa simply because amd is just too fragile
> and nobody seems to really support it any more.
>
> There's a few things that amd does that autofs doesn't do, and hpa is
> thinking about them for the next version of autofs, but I'd ask people who
> still use amd to consider very strongyl to just drop it in favour of
> something that is a lot faster and more reliable.

Actually, amd is now actively supported again, under the name
"am-utils". They do recognize the weakness of the NFS server
approach, and intend to make it support autofs on the OSes which have
it (so far they only have it for Solaris; I think they might be
interested in supporting autofs v4 when it is ready.)

Why use amd with autofs instead of the autofs daemon? Well, it lets
you use the same maps, if you're using amd elsewhere.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

However, at the current time, if the existing autofs does what you
need, you're much better off using it than amd.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.048 / U:0.184 seconds]