SubjectDebugging Oops' : extra help request
Hello,

I am familiar with debugging a typical Oops, but I am working on a
project and have run into a type of Oops I haven't seen before. It is
occuring in a third-party, non-Open Source kernel module at insmod time on
2.0.33. It is an "unable to handle kernel paging request" type of Oops.
The odd part is that it only happens with very specific kernel builds. If
I rebuild the kernel with some options different, the Oops goes away. If I
recompile the module with even a single printk() in the init_module
routine, the problem also goes away. I suspect the problem is still there,
but is masked by the new memory layout due to page boundary changes(?).
I have run the Oops through ksymoops and have looked up the EIP in
gdb on the symboled vmlinux file (built with -g). I have only been able to
determine that the Oops is occuring in __generic_memcpy_fromfs() (according
to gdb).
I would greatly appreciate any extra help or pointers on other ways
to go about diagnosing the problem. I'm not asking for someone to do my
homework; just a little tutoring. :)

thanks,
-bp
--