    SubjectSerious NFS problems, server hangs, 2.0.36
    Date

    Hello. I seem to be experiencing some problems related to NFS which cause
    NFS clients to become unusable (see details below). I've read about this
    problem happening to 2.0.33 and earlier in the list archives, however my NFS
    server is running 2.0.34 and the client is running 2.0.36. The nfs server is
    running nfsd 2.2 beta 37.

    Basically this is what happens. Every so often (at least once a week), with
    no apparent trigger, one of our servers will start printing messages like
    this to the syslog and console:

    Jan 15 04:00:15 server kernel: RPC: rpc_send sending evil packet:
    Jan 15 04:00:15 server kernel: e703045b 01000000 00000000 00000000
    00000000 00000000 00000000 7a000801
    Jan 15 04:00:20 server kernel: RPC: rpc_doio sending evil packet:
    Jan 15 04:00:20 server kernel: e703045b 01000000 00000000 00000000
    00000000 00000000 00000000 7a000801

    Once this starts happening, the NFS mounted filesystems to the server are
    unusable. Shortly after these messages start appearing, resource
    inavailability errors start occuring as well, and users are unable to log in
    and running processes start dying. Errors such as "fork() failed: resource
    temporarily unavailable" and "Unable to load interpreter" start appearing.
    No one can log in, and basically new processes cannot be created. I've heard
    in the old posts I've found that other users who have had these problems
    have had these resource allocation errors as well, so apparently they're
    related (to the nfs problem).

    Also, I get reports that the machine is receiving SYN floods from various
    obviosuly spoofed ip addresses somewhere during this "sending evil packet"
    stuff. I'm not sure if they're related (and I hope they're not the cause),
    but the SYN floods usually occur after the RPC problems have been going on
    for a while.

    This NFS client machine is a very busy multi-user server. It is running
    RH5.2, kernel 2.0.36. The server machine is running 2.0.34, Redhat 5.1 I
    believe, and universal nfs server 2.2 beta 37. NFS serving is the only thing
    the machine does. The server has been up and running fine for months, no
    error messages, no problems. Sometimes, if I can get into the client machine
    to unmount the NFS filesystem, I can remount it and that'll fix the problems
    for a while. The server also has less busy client systems attached to it
    which never have these problems. As far as I can tell the server isn't the
    problem, which is why I haven't bothered to upgrade the kernel (and I need
    to avoid the nfs server going down if possible).

    I haven't seen any solutions to this problem in the archives yet. If needs
    any additional information, or has any ideas as to what's causing this or
    how to fix it, input would be greatly appreciated :).

    Thanks in advance

    -Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.036 / U:3.116 seconds]