SubjectRe: draft for review - press release

Smart, Kylie writes:

> Please make sure any replies go to gsmart@tennyson.com.au
>
> hello,
> earlier today I said I would draft up a press release for
> when linux 2.2.0 gets released because of the publicity.
> Anyway here it is. Please have a look and give me any suggestions
> that you might have. In particular I would like to order new
> features by importance, I'm sure I've missed some too. If
> people feel this job should be taken on by someone who has a
> high profile then I'll happily hand it over (i.e. I won't take
> it personally).

Nah, competition would be good. :-)

I think it would be best to have both a _press_ release and
a more technical announcement. Your stuff is the latter.

> PRESS RELEASE - LINUX KERNEL 2.2.0
>
> The Linux kernel development team has released stable kernel version
> 2.2.0. This release emcompasses the bug fixes and enhancements of the

Woah, STOP! Clearly you are a geek, nerd, or techie.
Generally, it is bad to mention bug fixes in public.
Bug fixes imply buggy software. Did you ever wonder why
Microsoft doesn't feature hotfix updates on their main web
page? Even Red Hat has picked up a clue about this.

(actively hiding bugs is of course still evil)

> 2.1.xx series of development kernels, and the 2.2.0 pre-release kernel
> series. This release supercedes stable kernel v2.0.36, and is intended
> for inclusion in GNU/Linux distributions.

Politics have no place here.

> System Requirements of Linux kernel version 2.2.0:

Consider this off-topic.

> The major new features/enhancements of version 2.2.0 include:
> - Improved kernel response time.

Reporter: "Linux kerning support is much faster..."

> - USB support through kernel modules.

This didn't make it. :-(

----------- now I make a fool of myself :-) ----------

LINUX KERNEL 2.2
Santa Clara CA, January XX, 1999

Today the software developers led by Linus Torvalds release a major update
to the Linux operating system. This update brings increased scalability,
new hardware support, and a large collection of low-level features.
Highlights include:

* Advanced network routing and WAN support, which gives Linux the
ability to replace many expensive proprietary network devices.
Users can take control of their intranet with priority traffic,
usage limits, accounting, and virtual private networks. Strong
128-bit encryption is available as an add-on component.

* Enterprise-level network filesystem support, complete with data
replication for performance, mobility, and extreme reliability.

* Video capture support, TV tuner support, simplified audio support,
and other multimedia enhancements.

* Support for a large variety of parallel port devices including
disk drives, tape drives, and other easy-to-use external devices.

* Greater performance, especially while under heavy load or while
running on computers with multiple processors.

* Compatibility support for reading BSD and NT disks. Easy access to
documents stored on NTFS-format disks will facilitate conversion
from NT to Linux.

Advanced technical users are already using this update, downloaded
from the Internet. Business users can get a fully supported copy later
this spring when Linux vendors ship complete integrated systems
containing the update on easy-to-use CD-ROM distributions.

Linux is a secure network operating system for demanding users.
It interoperates well with a wide variety of other systems.
Linux can take advantage of modern PC and PowerMac hardware or give
new life to older 486-based computers. Support is widely available
via both traditional contracts and cost-effective Internet groups.
Linux is provided under an unlimited-use license that lets users
make in-house customizations to the system itself. Initial estimates
suggest that Linux had 10 to 20 million users at the end of 1998.

Linus Torvalds, native to Finland, lives with his family in Santa
Clara CA, USA. He and others created Linux as a labor of love,
which may account for the superior software quality.

For more information, see www.Linux.ORG and www.LinuxResources.com.

Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. PowerMac is a trademark of
Apple Computer, Inc. NT is a trademark of Northern Telecom Limited.