    SubjectRe: Building .config into the kernel

    On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

    > However, I've seen a number of good arguments from MEC to go all the way
    > and add /proc/config, which means adding ~5k of data into the kernel
    > [...]

    an order less than a ~5k .config, instead of bloat like this:

    # CONFIG_M386 is not set
    # CONFIG_M486 is not set
    # CONFIG_M586 is not set
    # CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
    CONFIG_M686=y
    CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
    CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
    CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
    CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
    CONFIG_X86_TSC=y

    it's enough to store:

    EXPERIMENTAL
    M686
    X86_WP_WORKS_OK
    X86_INVLPG
    X86_BSWAP
    X86_POPAD_OK
    X86_TSC

    my 7k .config can be stored in 600 bytes plaintext with this method, and i
    have compressed it down the 300 bytes with gzip. Storing a stripped down
    and gzip-ed .config in the kernel and reporting it to user-space via /proc
    doesnt sound like a big overhead, and certainly simplifies/cleans up the
    bug reporting process.

    > also means always being able to recover config data and never having a
    > confusion about which build is actually running. This, together with my
    > patchnames patch, makes reporting kernel build information very easy to
    > automate.

    .config is a fact of life. I dont agree with your patches idea though,
    'production quality patches' outside the main kernel are an artifact of
    bad communication. we should _not_ make it easier. People playing with
    'experimental patches' should be fully aware of the risks.

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:60.776 seconds]