SubjectRe: *** next draft - press release ***
Maybe some suggestions:

Greg Smart wrote:
> **** DRAFT **** PRESS RELEASE - LINUX KERNEL 2.2.0 **** DRAFT ****
>
> ----------- now I make a fool of myself :-) ---------- - no you
> didn't :-)
>
> LINUX KERNEL 2.2
> Santa Clara CA, January XX, 1999
>
> Today the software developers led by Linus Torvalds release a major update

Instead of "major update" I think that "major new version of" sounds
more
attracting. Bit of exaggerating doesn't hurt...

> to the Linux operating system. This update brings increased scalability,

"brings advanced scalability" tells the same but doesn't suggest
previous
versions where badly scalable.

> new hardware support, and a large collection of low-level features.

"broad support for newer hardware" sounds at least better. And climaxes
don't hurt.

> Highlights include:
>
> * Advanced network routing and WAN support, which gives Linux the
> ability to replace many expensive proprietary network devices.
> Users can take control of their intranet with priority traffic,
> usage limits, accounting, and virtual private networks. Strong
> 128-bit encryption is available as an add-on component.

"... from outside the USA uncompromised by legal restrictions imposed
by..."

> * Enterprise-level network filesystem support, complete with data
> replication for performance, mobility, and extreme reliability.
>
> * Video capture support, TV tuner support, simplified audio support,
> and other multimedia enhancements.

What about something in the sense of: "* Frist UNIX support for a wide
range of advanced multimedia
features like video capture ..." and so on and so on... maybe tell
something
about "Video conferencing" this seems one very catchy buzzword.

> * Support for a large variety of parallel port devices including

Not just "support" "improved support" instead.

> disk drives, tape drives, and other easy-to-use external devices.
>
> * Greater performance, especially while under heavy load or while
> running on computers with multiple processors.

"Improved performance in highly throughput demanding applications and
on multiprocessor systems"
My main point here is that you should focus on the term "applications"
if talking about throughput!

> * Compatibility support for reading BSD and NT disks. Easy access to

And now Joe will think about floppies in first order.
No it should be something about: " full support for direct data
interchangability
between Linux and NT systems!"

> documents stored on NTFS-format disks will facilitate conversion
> from NT to Linux.
>
> Advanced technical users are already using this update, downloaded
> from the Internet.

> Business users can get a fully supported copy later
> this spring when Linux vendors ship complete integrated systems
> containing the update on easy-to-use CD-ROM distributions.

No no tell something about:

"It should be expected that the system integrators will incorporate
it as SOON AS POSSIBLE into ..."

The following should be placed first. Yes think about the clueless guy
who had
never seen Linux before...

> Linux is a secure network operating system for demanding users.
> It interoperates well with a wide variety of other systems.
> Linux can take advantage of modern PC and PowerMac hardware or give
> new life to older 486-based computers. Support is widely available
> via both traditional contracts and cost-effective Internet groups.
> Linux is provided under an unlimited-use license that lets users
> make in-house customizations to the system itself. Initial estimates
> suggest that Linux had 10 to 20 million users at the end of 1998.

This they will not care about at least or maybe even worser will not
agree with in first place. "native to" isn't "politically correct"

> Linus Torvalds, native to Finland, lives with his family in Santa
> Clara CA, USA. He and others created Linux as a labor of love,
> which may account for the superior software quality.

This seems OK.

> For more information, see www.Linux.ORG and www.LinuxResources.com.
>
> Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. PowerMac is a trademark of
> Apple Computer, Inc. NT is a trademark of Northern Telecom Limited.

--Marcin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.425 / U:0.812 seconds]