SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre7: SCSI probe still panics (or hangs, w/ egcs)
David Woodhouse wrote:

> gobbel@andrew.cmu.edu said:
> > 2.2.0-pre7 (aic7xxx driver 5.1.10) still dies with a panic during SCSI
> > probe on my system: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB that does not have a
> > waiting message. This is identical to what I experienced with
> > 2.2.0-pre5 and 6
>
> Boot with the command line option
> aic7xxx=tag_info:{{255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}}
>
> Unless you have more than one SCSI channel, or devices outside the SCSI Id
> range 0-7, in which case read README.aic7xxx and alter appropriately.
>
> If that fixes it,

It's unlikely that this has anything to do with it. One of his emails had his
device list attached to it and all of the devices he owns are fine in respect
to tagged queueing.

> then complain bitterly that tagged queueing was enabled by
> default so close to the release of 2.2, and hope that it gets disabled again
> before lots more people get bitten by it.
>
> Defaulting to tagged queueing is a reasonable plan for 2.3, but IMHO we need
> time to make the device blacklist fairly comprehensive before doing it in a
> release kernel.

Ohh, absolutely. God knows it takes forever to add an entry to the blacklist,
and getting all five of the needed entries in there could never happen in less
than 2 months. Of course, this doesn't include the fact that 3 of them have
already been added by me....

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
Opinions expressed are my own, but