SubjectRe: (un)corrupted ext2 partitions
On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 02:13:36AM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:17:44 -0500
> From: Arvind Sankar <arvinds@MIT.EDU>
>
> Does the ext2 file system depend on /dev/hda5 staying /dev/hda5?
>
> No; but it does depend on the starting location of /dev/hda5 staying
> constant if you play partition renaming games. This isn't always the
> case with extended partitions, though, because of their really gross
> nesty partition table structure, so you have to exercise a lot of care
> when you move extended partitions around. I generally will try very
> hard to avoid extended partitions whenever posible.
>
> - Ted

Interesting, that about extended partitions. Anyway, I need them, cos I
got DOS, linux and netbsd on my disk, and I can't squeeze all of them into
the four primary partitions.
Are you saying that though fdisk says /dev/hda5 starts at the same cylinder
as my original /dev/hda6 started, it might actually be different at the
sector level? (my disk is LBA, of course)

-- arvind