    SubjectRe: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

    On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:10:28 +0100 (CET), Andrea Arcangeli
    <> said:

    > On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
    >> - in allocating swap space it just doesn't make sense to read
    >> into the next swap 'region'

    > The point is that I can't see a swap `region' looking at how
    > scan_swap_map() works. The more atomic region I can see in the swap space
    > is a block of bytes large PAGE_SIZE bytes (e.g. offset ;).

    The whole point is that we try to swap adjacent virtual pages to
    adjacent swap entries, so there is a good chance that nearby swap
    entries are going to be useful when we page them back in again. Given
    that adjacent swap entries on a swap partition are guaranteed to be
    physically contiguous, it costs very little to swap in several nearby
    elements at the same time, and we get a good chance of reading in useful

    > For the case of binaries the aging on the page cache should take care of
    > it (even if there's no aging on the swap cache as pre[567] if I remeber
    > well).

    There is no aging on the page cache at all other than the PG_referenced

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.021 / U:8.948 seconds]