    SubjectRe: PATCH killing dead code and design errors in pre6
    On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 08:27:59PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > With one exception nobody stepped in and used this feature!
    > > Look at the patch the constructor usage there was just preventing
    > > a hand full of zero initializations, just about 8 or 10 (frankly I don't
    > > remember exactly), which looked the following way around:
    >
    > Im not arguing about removing the constructors. We don't use them, why keep
    > them. They can be put back if/when used. Slab itself is a different matter

    I hope to reintroduce the lazy copying fork optimization for big file tables
    once the big NROPEN mess is sorted out. For that constructors are needed.
    [To be honest I'm still pissed that that nice optimization was thrown out,
    without finishing the work - supporting sparse fd arrays fully. It would be
    best to either revert fork.c:copy_files to 2.1.5x state or finish the sparse
    array implementation]

    > >>From thje other paragraph I think I just got the wrong end of the stick. Its
    > removing slab I don't want to see, not removing pointless constructors.

    I don't think it is a good idea to throw out useful infrastructure.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:121.828 seconds]