    SubjectRe: Open by inode? (was Re: knfsd)
    > Note that open-by-inode() is fundamentally broken, and will not be
    > implemented. There are several reasons:
    >
    > - it bypasses directory-based security.

    This is irrelevant for root.

    > - it breaks any filesystems that don't work by inode number. For
    > example, a number of filesystems _need_ to know the full pathname:
    > any well-thought-out network filesystem (and no, I don't consider NFS
    > to be well-thought-out) will use pathnames, and even local
    > filesystems like a basic cdrom filesystem needs to know the full path

    Both AFS and Coda have a 4*32bit identifier on each file. Therefore,
    don't call it open_by_inode(), call it open_by_handle(), it is much
    more general.

    > (iso9660 does not have ".." on disk - so you need to know your path
    > in order to know where ".." is)

    Why do you have to know where .. is in order to open a file?

    Some file systems may not be able to implement open_by_handle(), but
    then, what's the problem? Then they just can't be used for speeding
    things up.

    /Magnus
    map@stacken.kth.se

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:31.288 seconds]