SubjectRE: Cheap network for two hosts ?
Date
The main reason that I use UTP over coax in my home network is
accessibility. By that I mean, most people who have Ethernet cards in their
computer have a UTP port, but not everyone has coax. I know this would be
no issue if you were buying all of the machines yourself. Let me give you
an example of a scenario were the comes into play. One of the main uses for
my network is multiplayer games. I like to invite my friends to come over
to play ( LAN parties ) things like Quake2 and starcraft. Many of the
computers that they bring ( and my machine also ) have 10/100meg cards. I
have yet to see a 10/100 card with a coax port. I would recommend using
coax if I knew I was only going to ever want to use my own machines. If you
have even a small felling that you would want to host a lan party I would
use UTP.....

josh