    SubjectRe: Open by inode? (was Re: knfsd)
    In message <77c9q9$a8r$1@palladium.transmeta.com>, Linus Torvalds writes:
    +-----
    | any well-thought-out network filesystem (and no, I don't consider NFS
    | to be well-thought-out) will use pathnames, and even local
    +--->8

    I think I'm channeling the AFS developers when I boggle at this... files are
    identified by 4-tuples in AFS (and Coda, which is based on AFS). "By path"
    is rather difficult when a remote cell's file server can't possibly know
    *where* its volume is mounted in my local cell's AFS tree (nothing but a
    desire to easily identify what's going on just by looking at the path stops
    me from doing "fs mkmount ~/.private/pafs/foo remote.cell:volume.name" where
    "volume.name" is not "root.cell" --- and even the latter is just a
    convention). The local client resolves the pathname to the appropriate
    4-tuple and then hands that off to the remote cell's servers. The only
    fixed requirement is that there is exactly one mount point for the AFS
    client's root cell on a local filesystem (by convention,
    $(</usr/vice/etc/ThisCell):root.afs on /afs).

    Or I could use "arlad -d", which behaves much like an FTP client for
    browsing AFS volumes (compare to Samba's Unix SMB client...). The path is
    irrelevant, as I can tell it to mount as a root cell any volume I can access
    in any cell I can access.

    Pathnames are less than usable on a global filesystem.

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:34.596 seconds]