SubjectNFS/Netscape Messenger 2.2.0pre{5,6} bug?
Hello,

I installed RedHat 5.2 on an SMP machine last night and decided to give
the 2.2.0pre* kernels a try. The major problem I've encountered so far
involves sending a message with Netscape Messenger. When running
Netscape as myself, if I click on "New Msg" in the Messenger window,
Netscape will hang. (This problem does not occur with the 2.0.36 kernel
that comes with RedHat 5.2.) If I login as root and try the same thing,
the Compose window comes up no problem. I tried to control for various
things (including wiping my .netscape directory and using different user
accounts--same result) and then I decided to put my home directory on a
local partition instead of on NFS. Mirabile! The Compose window comes
up just as it should.

gdb /usr/lib/netscape/netscape-communicator PID usually gives something
like:

Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
0x4019e974 in __libc_fcntl ()

Hitting CTRL-C a couple of times in the controlling xterm window will
bring up the Compose window briefly before shutting down netscape. I've
upgraded the packages recommended in the FAQ to the latest RPM's on
contrib.redhat.com.

Am I missing something obvious? Can anyone reproduce this?

Thanks for any information.

Andrew Leahy
aleahy@knox.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.211 / U:0.160 seconds]