    SubjectRe: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)
    And lo, Khimenko Victor saith unto me:

    > >>foo1.C
    > >>
    > >> blah->foofunc();
    > >>

    > >>foo2.C
    > >>
    > >>blahobject::foofunc()
    > >>{
    > >> printf("Hi");
    > >>}
    > >>
    > >>a C++ compiler ends up passing "this" needlessly because it can't tell that
    > >>foofunc of object blahobject need not know who it is.
    > > A good optimizing compiler should detect the lack of use of the this
    > > variable and optimize it away. Besides the reason "this" is passed to the
    > > function is to access object variables, so a C version of a C++ object would
    > > have its associated functions passed a structure's address as well.
    > Since C++ has no support for modular programming (shame for modern language)
    > aven genious compiler could not do anything with this sample. Since compiler
    > is NOT aware about lack of this usage in foofunc while compiling foo1.C and
    > thus could not remove it's usage there and thus could not remove it's usage
    > in foo2.C as well even if foofunc is not virtual ...

    A correct compiler could not skip passing this, because it can not be known
    until link time that this will not be needed. I don't know of a compiler
    that leaves enough info in the .o file for the linker to optimize at that
    stage...and would never take the time to do so.

    > Programmer should do this
    > by hand by declaring foofunc as static :-)

    Amen...and it's not like you have occasion to do so all that often.

    "Well, look at that. The sun's | Linux: |"Zooty,
    coming up." -- John Sheridan, | KDE: | zoot
    "Sleeping in Light", Babylon 5 | Keith: | zoot!" | | --Rebo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.040 / U:13.928 seconds]