SubjectRe: Ext2 failure question
 Hello

> I've installed Linux on my girl-friend's machine. For some reason
> LILO failed (not unusuall). What I did, is that I booted with a dos disk
> and I did a fdisk /mbr so she could still use winblows '95. That went
> well.
>
> After that, I had to make her a Linux boot disk. So I took a
> kernel 2.0.36 (form redhat-5.2) compiled on my machine, and I used it as
> a rescue disk, then I tryed to mount her linux partition, (with mount -t
> ext2 /dev/hda3 /z) and mounting failed complaining about the mount type.
>
> Then I checked with fdisk to make sure that it was indeed in ext2,
> and it was. Mount seemed to complain about a corrupted superblock. First
> of all, is there anyway to bring this partition back (after all, aren't
> superblocks suposed to copy themselves all over the disk?).
Was the partition with ext2 really /dev/hda3? I don't suppose the SB
could get corrupted by these operations. I think there simply isn't any
ext2 superblock on /dev/hda3. The stamp in partition table is only for
users and AFAIK nobody cares about it. If /dev/hda3 is really ext2 partition
the fsck has option to read superblock from other block than the first
(SB is copied in the beggining of each group which is usually 8 MB long).

> Second of all, is there any software related possible causes that
> could make ext2 crash when it coexists with win '95 on a drive. Because on
> all the machines that I've installed linux on (about 12 or so), it never
> crashes.
I also haven't heard of any problems so far..

Honza

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:7.705 / U:0.008 seconds]