    SubjectRe: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)
    In article <>,
    Chip Salzenberg <> writes:
    >We're doing such a complete rewrite with Perl right now. It's a
    >big project, even though the fine points of Perl aren't nearly as
    >razor-sharp as the fine points of Linux.

    You mean you're rewriting Perl in C++? I hope I just misunderstood..
    If, however, that's what you're saying then I'll stay with the last C
    version of Perl, that's for sure.

    C++ code not maintained by the original developer seems to end up
    unmaintained almost always.
    (e.g. who's been fixing groff the last years? Nobody. I remember
    struggling with a sick groff problem once, turned out the compiler didn't
    generate correct code for one slightly complicated statement. There are
    far more bugs in C++ compilers, as an example look at the bug reports on
    comp.sys.sgi. The number of bug reports on C++ is one or two orders of
    magnitude higher than for the C compiler. It won't change either, C++
    compilers are harder to get right than C compilers.)

    As far as I'm concerned I'm done with C++ forever. Even thinking of the
    fact that I thought C++ was a pretty good idea some years back is
    quite embarrassing now.

    - Tor

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.018 / U:26.052 seconds]