    SubjectA very bad report re 2.2.0preX
    First, I apologize for the lack of detailed information, but I really
    don't know how to obtain it :)

    Basically, my complaint is concerning HD access. It seems that the disk
    buffers get, ummmm, stuck? filled?, with previous accesses so much that
    when you do something /new/, it takes a VERY long time for it to work[1].

    An example:

    If I'm just using my machine normally; reading mail, doing some greps,
    launching xemacs, and I do a "man foobar", it takes at least __15
    seconds__ for the man page to appear. This wasn't the case in the 2.1.<130
    kernels (certainly not in 2.1.125 which was my previous "stable"
    experimental release).

    If I'm reading a 1000 message mail folder in Pine, and switch to another
    folder with ~1000 messages, it takes around 1-2 _MINUTES_ for pine to
    complete saving the previous folder and open the new one. Again, in
    2.1.125 this took at most 30s.

    And another:

    If I do something highly disk i/o, like "find /", the kernel will allocate
    SO MUCH space to buffers that it starts to swap out other real programs.
    This seems really bad to me. After all, aren't the buffers suppose to be
    allocate from free memory? And besides, with 192MB of ram, I don't see why
    it would need 150MB of disk buffers anyhoot.

    If someone has a series of tests that I could run and return the results,
    I'm more than willing to do so.

    [1] Probably the worst sentance I've ever written.
    [2] Sysinfo at

    -- n i c h o l a s j l e o n
    elegance through simplicity**
    good fortune through truth**ICQ#2170994*U+($++)
    TRA#6805*not all questions have answers*pseudogeek:P+++($++)L+($++)W=lm@b9

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:4.756 seconds]