    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel
    Date
    In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.990109192943.30838C-100000@z.ml.org>,
    Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org> wrote:
    >On 8 Jan 1999, david parsons wrote:
    >
    >> ____
    >> david parsons \bi/ And there's nothing wrong with giving credit where
    >> \/ credit is due.
    >>

    >The real problem with using that sort of BSD licence is that if multiple
    >people use varrients of it. Say if all the packages in a Linux distro were
    >under a licence that made adverts contain 'derrived from code developed by
    ><insert developer here>'. A dist like redhat would have to take out 5 page
    >adds just to mention the product. :)
    >
    >The advert clause makes products not scale. :)

    I dunno. When I wrote the CREDITS page for McAfee's _WebShield_
    product, it ended up being about 400 lines long. A lot of that is
    the copyright text for the various packages (I included every
    copyright I could find except the *GPL, which I put links to); none
    of these credits ended up in the (pitiful) advertising for the
    products.

    And since WebShield includes a complete Slackware system (it would
    have become Mastodon, except the product was just cancelled last
    month. Sigh) it includes LOTS of Berkeley-style license code. And
    there's nothing in that code requiring McAfee to give a credits list
    in the advertisements (because Webshield is Linux, it doesn't have
    the McKusick daemon and the attribution requirement; none of the
    other Berkeley stuff requires that I credit it in advertisements,
    and in fact it requires that I get permission before I do.)

    ____
    david parsons \bi/ The horrible thing about it all is that if I'd used
    \/ a BSD kernel, the only person I would have dropped from
    the credits list would have been Linus Torvalds.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.027 / U:0.804 seconds]