    SubjectRe: 2.0.36 networking lock

    On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Diego Liziero wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:50:27 +0100 (MET)
    > From: Diego Liziero <pmcq@emmenet.it>
    > To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > Cc: Diego Liziero <pmcq@se1.emmenet.it>
    > Subject: 2.0.36 networking lock
    >
    > Is there anyone still workin on 2.0.* kernel?
    >
    > After 2.0.36 upgrade I've had a couple of networking lock in a
    > heavily loaded server.
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > -If I connect to the server with ssh (ssh server) I get no prompt for
    > password and after a while I get a timeout message.
    > -Previous ssh connections still keep working.
    [...]

    This one happens quite often to me, but the server machine is not Linux
    at all (an SVR4 UNIX);
    When it happens, it looks like that:
    I have just finished an ssh connection from my workstation to the server;
    I start a new ssh connection to the same server and it appears to hang;
    netstat -a on the server shows that a connection from my workstation from
    port x is still not quite finished;
    Linux on my workstation probably thinks that it is over, to is allocates
    the same port x to SSH (or let SSH allocate, I am not quite sure)
    The new ssh connection is reported by netstat -a on my local workstation
    as being in SYN_SENT state;

    I think when it happens to you again you might want to run netstat -a
    on the server and your workstation and check whether the symptoms are
    similar.

    Best regards,

    Wojtek

    Wojtek Pilorz