SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 11:12:32PM +0300, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> [someone, i don't know who, wrote:]
> >> them. What about init files... You really think that constantly
> >> growing list with FEW HUNDREDS distributions (few tens listed at
> >> are just beginning of this list!) will help here ?
> >> Who will mantain it ? How often
> PB> Well, if you were to divide into bsd and sysv flavours, you'd
> PB> make a fair approximation. But there really is a problem here.
> PB> Placements are not compatible amongst the distributions. RedHat is
> PB> the principal offender in my opinion.
> Debian with it's perl-based startup system is even worse. Since this
> is religion this aspect is not touched in FHS :-((

debian does not have a "perl-based startup system" (or if it does,
you have to go override the default and install something other than

debian uses standard sysvinit. Miquel van Smoorenburg (the author of
sysvinit) is a debian developer, and has been for many years.

BTW, redhat uses a NON-standard sysv style init. i don't like it, but
it's not that hard to get used to. it's certainly better than bsd's
monolithic /etc/rc or slackware's /etc/rc abomination.

Craig Sanders
Systems Administrator
VICNET- Victoria's Network