    SubjectRe: 2.2.0-pre[56] swap performance poor with > 1 thrashing task

    Btw, if there are people there who actually like timing different things
    (something I _hate_ doing - I lose interest if things become just a matter
    of numbers rather than trying to get some algorithm right), then there's
    one thing I'd love to hear about: the effect of trying to do some
    access bit setting on buffer cache pages.

    See my comments in linux/include/linux/fs.h, at around line 260 or so.
    It's the "touch_buffer()" macro which is currently a no-op, and it is
    entirely possible that it really should set the PG_referenced bit.

    As a no-op, it can now randomly and unprectably result in even worthwhile
    buffers just being thrown out - possibly quite soon after they've been
    loaded in. I happen to believe that it doesn't actually matter (and I'm
    not convinced that marking the pages referenced has no downsides), but I'm
    too lazy to bother to test it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:15.652 seconds]