    SubjectRe: Drunken mumblings [OFFTROPIC]
    "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, John R. Lenton wrote:
    > [SNIPPED]
    > >
    > > Can a SCSI cable be used to connect computers? I mean, can a
    > > computer be daisychained with say a hard disk? In theory at
    > > least? Using a special card?
    > A SCSI disk (or any SCSI device) can be "shared" by other masters on
    > the SCSI bus. The master only has to win arbitration (it's done by the
    > chip), and it can access any device that wants to be accessed. I use
    > "want" here in a particular way. A SCSI Host controller, and its driver
    > software, generally doesn't "want" some other SCSI master telling it what
    > to do.
    > Therefore, communications with a device such as a disk, by two separate
    > computers, is not a problem. You can, in fact, use a common hard disk
    > even to boot two different machines. The problems come if one or more of
    > the machines tries to write to the disk.

    This sort of setup (two machines sharing one or more drives via a SCSI
    chain) was not outrageously uncommon, back in the mid-80's. You've got
    to be willing to have zero read/write buffering, and have your
    filesystem make a few concessions. IE: Performance degrades.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.030 / U:104.952 seconds]