    Subject2.2.0-pre2 seems faster than 2.1.132, but SCSI problem?
    Hi all.

    After some hours of using 2.2.0-pre2, I have the subjective feeling that
    starting some applications is faster than before. In a Pentium-class machine,
    128Mb [1] memory, Netscape (the big dinosaur^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbrowser, you know)
    seems to load faster, and it definitely is when starting an xterm. Good job.

    I can read QIC-80 tapes, I was concerned about the previous negative report of
    somebody (sorry, can't remember).

    Everything seems to work Ok, except for a SCSI scanner, and it doesn't work
    with 2.0.36-pre-something. It works in that GUI from Redmond, though (same
    machine), so I think the problem may be in the drivers. I am reporting this to
    the 'sane' people, as perhaps the problem is not in the SCSI driver. I am
    using an Artec AT12 scanner and NCR53C810 host card. The first time it scans
    very well, but next time there is an I/O error and the scanner seems to be
    dead. If I try again, the computer seems to freeze (I haven't a monitor
    attached to it, every scan is done through the network).

    Just in case anybody has experimented the sane, er, the same.

    [1] No, having 128Mb is not very different from 64 or from 48: Netscape still
    is a snail when starting. I hope the new Mozilla will at least equal lynx in
    speed and memory consumption :)

    Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles - Sending from home
    ax25:ea7abo - -
    This message is just my opinion right now

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:20.220 seconds]