SubjectRe: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> In theory it should work fine. In practice some X-Servers have problems
> to restore the video mode correctly. Maybe due to some hardware problem
> (some video boards you can't ask about the current state), maybe becauce
> they don't expect the console being in graphics mode. You'll end up with
> a broken console then. This problem is'nt new...

I know - we used to have problems even with restoring to normal text-mode
if it was set to anything except for 80x25.

But I really think that it should be easy to tell X not to switch modes,
and just tell it hat mode it is in. The modeswitching part of X is the
most fragile and yet the least important one, so this would get all of the
advantages of having a kernel fb device with none of the disadvantages.

Dirk, who in the XFree86 team should people talk to about something like
this? The current situation where the kernel frame buffer and a regular X
server don't always work together is just silly.

> I never had problems to mix the accelerated XFree86 Server with fbcon
> (matrox mystique, both vesafb and matroxfb work fine). The FBDev Server
> works too, of cource.

Good. However, some interaction does seem to exist, as I've gotten reports
of the Matrox X server being extremely slow to paint the screen with the
new framebuffer code as of 2.1.132. That must be something else than just
modeswitching.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.117 / U:0.116 seconds]