SubjectRe: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3
From
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

>On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>> You cannot and should not mix XFree86 servers (except the frame buffer
>> console server) with the kernel frame buffer driver. Period.

>That's a kernel frame buffer bug as far as I can tell.

>If the text console can live together with X messing with the display
>device, there is no reason why the frame buffer console shouldn't do the
>same. We already have all the code to serialize the accesses.

In theory it should work fine. In practice some X-Servers have problems
to restore the video mode correctly. Maybe due to some hardware problem
(some video boards you can't ask about the current state), maybe becauce
they don't expect the console being in graphics mode. You'll end up with
a broken console then. This problem is'nt new...

I never had problems to mix the accelerated XFree86 Server with fbcon
(matrox mystique, both vesafb and matroxfb work fine). The FBDev Server
works too, of cource.

Gerd

--
Beware "We should", extend a hand to "How do I"...
-- Alan Cox on /.